Sunday, May 15, 2011

Herbs Used For Hair Care and How To Make An Herbal Infusion

I have been on a hair kick lately so I thought I would Post a bunch of all natural uses for herbs in hair care. I am also adding a recipe to make an easy herbal infusion for using the herbs of choice. Some I have tried and some I haven't. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has used herbs for hair care and how they have worked for you. I am always looking for great tips, lol.

HERBS USED IN HAIR CARE:

Herbs for Dry Hair:

Burdock root, comfrey, elderflowers, Lavender , marsh mallow, parsley, sage, stinging nettle.

Herbs for Damaged Hair:

sage, rose, calendula, chamomile, burdock, thyme, rosemary

Herbs for Oily Hair:

Calendula, horsetail, lemon juice, lemon balm, lemongrass, lavender, mints, rosemary, southernwood, witch hazel and yarrow.

Herbs to Prevent and Treat Dandruff:

burdock root, chamomile, garlic and onion bulbs (powerful but unpleasantly scented), goosegrass, parsley, rosemary, southernwood, stinging nettle and thyme.

Herbs that Soothe the Scalp:

Catmint (leaves and flowering tops), chamomile, comfrey, lavender, thyme, Yarrow

Herbs for Fine Hair:

chamomile, clary sage, rose, lime blossom, birch

Herbs for Curly Hair:

lemon, burdock, lavender

Herbs to Provide Luster and Body for Thin Hair:

Calendula, goosergrass, horsetail, Licorice, lime flowers, nasturtium, parsley, rosemary, sage, southernwood, stinging nettles and watercress.

Herbs for Hair Shine:

Horsetail, Parsley, Nettles, Rosemary, Sage, Calendula

Herbs for Hair Growth:

Aloe, Arnica, Birch, Burdock, Catmint, catnip, Chamomile, Horsetail, Licorice, Marigold, Nettles, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Southernwood and Stinging nettle

Herbs for Thinning Hair:

Burdock, Catnip, Nettle, Chamomile, Lavender, Rosemary, Saw Palmetto, Thyme, Yucca


Simple Ways How To Make An Herbal Infusion:

Method 1

Place herbs in a glass container. Pour 2 cups boiled water over the herbs to cover. Cover glass container with a tight fitting lid or a saucer to keep steam from escaping. Allow to cool then strain the herbs.

To use an Herbal Infusion:

Use as a final hair rinse after shampooing and conditioning.

Can be added to homemade shampoo
Method 2

1.)Place about 1/2 -1 cup roots, herbs or flowers in a teabag or tea ball before adding to 43 cups water.


2.)Simmer or steep in water for 20 minutes. Allow to cool. Drain herbs.

3.) Apply as a final rinse, AFTER shampoo and conditioner.
For a stronger tea, place herbs in a glass jar. Pour boiling water over herbs, cover and let sit for anywhere between 24 hours to a week.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! My hair keeps falling out, again... and breaking. Stupid hair. I think I need to look into all these household remedies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diandra, I have the problem of losing hair and breakage too and since I have been adding all natural products to my routine my hair seems stronger and I noticed there isn't as much in the brush after brushing either. Its been about 5 or six months since I really started to seriously use natural products for my hair but it does seem to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the herbs listed for hair growth, what is the mixtured to use? Or do you combine all? And how much?

    ReplyDelete