Sunday, May 22, 2011

Astrological Timing for Gardening By The Moon



Moon in Aries:

plant only garlic and onions.


Moon in Taurus:

plant potatoes or leafy vegetables.

Moon in Gemini:

weed and cultivate. Do not plant or transplant.

Moon in Cancer:

graft, transplant, sow, or force budding. This is a very productive sign.

Moon in Leo:

focus on ridding your garden of unwanted insects or weeds.

Moon in Virgo:

fairly barren. Don't do any extensive gardening during this sign other than basic maintenance.

Moon in Libra:

sow flowers, root crops, vines, and lettuce.

Moon in Scorpio:

excellent for promoting plant growth, so fertilize now.

Moon in Sagittarius:

productive for onions.

Moon in Capricorn:

plant tubers and root crops only.

Moon in Aquarius:

cultivate and turn the soil.

Moon in Pisces:

excellent for flora requiring good root growth.

First Quarter:

plant leafy annuals with above-ground yields like broccoli, cauliflower, celery, spinach, and lettuce.

Second Quarter:

plant rounded flowers and plants like cantaloupe, eggplant, peas, tomatoes, and cucumbers.

Third Quarter:

sow bulbs, root crops, beets, garlic, carrots, and anything else that has an underground yield. Also, fruit bushes seem to do well when planted during this phase.

Fourth Quarter:

Turn the soil, weed, and eliminate pests. This is most effective when combined with the moon signs of Leo, Virgo, and Gemini. If you're harvesting during this moon phase, try to time it for the signs of Aquarius, Aries, Gemini, Leo, or Sagittarius.
 

4 comments:

  1. I consider myself a pretty smart cookie for the most part but back in my early witch/pagan days I use to think that to plant by the moon you had to do it at night in the moonlight,lol. Then I had an old farmer tell me that you can plant things day or night as long as the moon was in that particular zodiac sign and/or the moon was in a particular quarter. He giggled at my nieveness back then. I have found that my gardens do grow better when I follow this chart, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case you're wondering where I get my info, I use a lot of correspondences and such from Patricia Telesco, Ellen Dugan and other big name authors. I also scour the internet and weed out the truly useful info from the not-so-useful. You see I am the posterchild for all Virgo's,lol, I study and anylize EVERYTHING, I drive me nutz sometimes but I like to be as sure as possible about what I learn,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! In the night by the moonlight, that is pretty hilarious. Although, there are certain herbs I still love to collect by moonlight ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the planting by moonlight idea. Very mysterious.

    ReplyDelete